In 1951 Founding Members James Brady and E. J. Duffy ardent golfers, neighbors and good friends continued to be frustrated by the impossibility of obtaining a prime weekend morning tee time at any of the Sacramento areas courses, so they rallied a group of like-minded golfers with the dream of starting a new Private Golf Club. From its inception the main purpose of North Ridge Country Club has been to reserve and provide prime weekend morning tee times for its Proprietary Members.
These dreamers found 200 acres of the original San Juan Land Grant owned by the McMillan family of Fair Oaks and subsequently 5 dreamers put up $1,000 each of their own as an option deposit to purchase the land for $100,000. that is now North Ridge Country Club as well as the residential areas of Divot Circle, Wedge Circle and Fairway 2.
In 1952 North Ridge was incorporated and approved to start selling 475 Proprietary Golfing Memberships and 200 Social Non-Golfing Memberships at an initiation price of $570 each. The dues were set at $12 and $6 per month respectively.
In 1953 William Bell & Son, a prolific father & son Golf Course Architectural team was engaged to design and oversee the construction of the course. The first 9 holes were completed and open for play on Labor Day 1954. The full 18 hole course was open for play on Memorial Day 1955.
Also, in 1953 the Architectural firm of Franceschi and Mullen were retained to conceptually design the original clubhouse, which was constructed along with a swimming pool in 1954. Subsequent additions and expansions occurred in 1957, 1961 and 1969. A major renovation resulting in virtually a complete new $6,000,000 clubhouse, designed jointly by the renowned Golf Clubhouse Architectural firms of Klages, Carter, Vail and Partners of Costa Mesa and Stafford, King and Wise of Sacramento was completed by Earl Construction in 1997.
Over the years many minor and major golf course improvement projects have been completed, including the fantastic $3,500,000 greens and bunkers renovation designed and supervised by famed Golf Course Architect Robert Trent Jones II that opened for play in June 2018.