The sophisticated and traditional design of our course is a feast for the eyes.
Throughout the challenging but walkable course, abundant, mature trees line lush green fairways.
Our course was designed by William “Billy" P. Bell. Construction began on the first nine holes in November 1953 under the guidance of his father, William F. Bell and was completed in September 1954 (Labor Day). Construction on the second nine holes began in the fall of 1954 and was completed in 1955 (Memorial Day). Over the years there have been minor changes to our layout, the most dramatic change occurred when Madison Avenue was widened in 1960. This caused the 12th green to be moved to the south and it became a par four. To compensate for this the 18th tee was moved to the south making that hole a par five.
From the start our course was plagued with drainage problems caused by the interruption of natural drainage courses by the original construction and made worse by hardpan and very clayey soil. This was especially true in the relatively flat terrain in the playing areas of holes 18, 1, 10, 9, and the driving range.
In 2003 the Club used its own money to install a sophisticated drainage system in our driving range. Due to the success of that system, the members approved an assessment to finance construction of the same type of system on holes 1, 2, 3, 9, 10 and 18 in 2004. In 2005 the members approved a second assessment, which
financed construction for the drainage system for holes 14, 15, and 16 in 2005 and holes 4, 12 and 13 in 2006. In 2005 the Board allocated $150,000 toward the 2005-2006 project. In 2006 the Board allocated additional money to do some more work on hole 1 and new work on holes 7,8 and 11 (previously unplanned).
Our new drainage system uses a combination of gravity flow drains and siphons that allows water to move freely on a flat grade and even uphill where needed. A sump was installed on the driving range to act as the low point of the siphon system for holes 18, 1, 10 and 9. A pump then removes the water, which is discharged off the course and under San Juan Avenue. Another siphon and sump combination exists near the 3rd hole which drains holes 2 and 3. The whole system is an intricate network of trenches, pipes, drains and 3,400 tons of specially selected sand. There are 204 individual surface water inlets connecting the drainpipes.
In 1994 we began a program of sanding the fairways each spring and fall in hopes of making the surface more playable during the wet winter months. About ten tons of sand per acre (approximately 3/16”) is applied during each application with the intent of building a sandy loam type of soil in the top four inches. It took about seven years to accomplish the desired results. We continue to top dress today in order to dilute thatch produced by our common Bermuda grass fairways. Because of the favorable results in the fairways we began, in 2003, an aggressive double sanding program (20 tons per acre) in the primary play rough, as the budget allows. The decision to double sand was made with the hopes of improving conditions in less time.